Monday, July 12, 2010

4k Resolution on YouTube...is it practical?

4k resolution YouTube video, pixelated no?

YouTube has added in 4k resolution support, that's neat! How big is it? It's 4096×2304 pixels...wait what? My monitor is at most 1280 x 920 pixels!


There are some 4k videos now viewable in YouTube and I decided to try out a couple of videos. It was bad.. My computer at work with ATI Radeon HD 4550 graphics card and Core 2 Duo 3GHz with 4GB RAM was able to view the videos, but it's VERY choppy and pixelated, stopping at every 2 to 3 seconds. My PC at home with better specs was able to play them smoothly but at certain parts will go a little out of sync and then back in sync and of course, a little pixelated. Both PCs runs on VISTA and Firefox. It's even worse on my 5 year old NEC laptop running Ubuntu 10.04. Firefox crashed on me the moment I maximized the video.

So, do your computer have what it takes to take on 4k resolution? Give it a try here. You can view the clips in 4k resolution by selecting "Original" at the same menu where you select your desired resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment